I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Day 171: Ouch!

Can anyone figure out what is wrong with this guy’s shoulder? Look carefully at its shape.


This police recruit has a dislocated shoulder. What makes his story amazing is that it was dislocated over 4 months ago and he is just now coming to medical to get it evaluated. He has been here in Herat for 2 months training. He can barely move his arm and when he does the pain is intense. Anyone who has had a dislocated shoulder knows what a painful injury this is. I am not sure if I am impressed more with his pain tolerance or with his stupidity in waiting months to seek help with his problem.

We tried to reduce the shoulder and put it back in place. However, after months of being out of place, the surrounding muscles were tight and we ultimately had to send him to the hospital for further treatment. Again, another interesting patient and something you will never see in the States.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My sister has dislocated her shoulder twice. I can't imagine how he has been able to function that long with it out of place. Are the people just wary of doctors and hospitals?....oh the stories you will tell in future years at youth firesides.

Kim

Hendry Happenings said...

JJ, I follow your blog daily, but have not been able to leave comments. For some reason today I can. Keep up the good work, you are always in our prayers!
The VA Hendry's

Anonymous said...

Yikes!!!!
Love, Mom and Dad

mom said...

Nathan Wadsworth is Bishop, Ephraim Hunter, and Gary Johnson counselors. They will be great. We miss you and your family. Terra