I'll be home soon...

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Day 42: 1041 Miles

1041 miles. This is the distance between my family and me. It took just two short hours to fly here this morning. But now, sitting in my barracks, it seems like a world away. It was nice to go home for the weekend but the time passed too quickly. Times like today make the reality of "452 days" really sink in. I think of the soccer games, school performances, movie nights, and goodnight kisses that will be missed. It is hard at times. I feel for my wife who bears most of the true stress and burden while I am away. I love her for her positive attitude and support. I hurt when she feels lonely or afraid. I miss my kids--their naughtiness, their pure love, their simple innocence. I'm grateful for my mom, who tries her best not to let me see her cry but whose worry about her "little boy" makes it impossible to hide. How blessed I am to have family and friends who love and support Sue and me.

At times, when I feel sorry for myself, I think of others who have suffered or made sacrifices far greater than my own. Recently, I have been reading the Doctrine and Covenants and learning more about the prophet Joseph Smith. What an example of faith and endurance despite incredible obstacles and challenges in his life. After being dragged from the arms of his wife and children, and imprisoned in Liberty Jail the Lord offered him this comfort: "My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment; and then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high" (D&C 121:7-8). Ultimately, he sacrificed all, even his life, for the cause in which he believed.


The Plan is simple. We are here to learn and gain experience. Our goal is to become as our loving Heavenly Father. There are supposed to be trials along the way. This is how we grow. I am grateful for my Father who knows that although hard, sometimes we need 1041 miles to help us become as He is.

1 comment:

rerelevant said...

Your mom said:
Thank you for your blog. I love you.
Love,
Mom