I'll be home soon...

Monday, July 28, 2008

Day 64: Wounded in Action

One...Two...Three...Go, Go, Go!!!

The door is kicked in and 5 armed soldiers tactically enter the room to clear it of all enemies. From room to room they go, barely noticed, and never placing themselves in sight of the enemy. Within several minutes the building is clear and secure. The soldiers move onto the next building.

This is how it was supposed to go. Instead it went something like this:

One...Two...Three...Go.

The door is gently opened, 5 Navy nurses and doctors enter the room, one trips and falls upon entry, and the other 4 struggle to climb over their fallen comrade. They are all immediately shot by the enemy and fall to the ground.


Yes, today was house clearing day. What normal soldiers spend weeks and months training in, we spent 3 hours doing. After our brief training, we were then sent on a suicide mission to clear a building with two terrorists (expert army marksmen) inside. To make things even more fun, we modified our weapons to shoot little rubber rounds designed not to kill, but instead to cause significant pain and injury. On our first go around the two terrorists quickly took out everyone but three of our guys. On the second round we did a little better, but I am sad to say I didn't make it--I was taken out while leading the charge up the stairs.

Below you can see some of our battle wounds. Mine is the leg you see (sorry ladies, I am already taken) and the arm is our blood bank specialist who really got hit hard.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom said:
That looks painful. They should have used air rounds instead of rubber. I love you.
Love, Mom

Dawn said...

OUCH!!!!

Beth said...

I'm glad it was just a training exercise! I loved your post; keep up the good work.

Sue said...

Ouch, honey! Can I write you a note excusing you from any activity that causes bodily harm?

Valerie said...

That does not look like fun!

Justin said...

Hey, I got a lot of comments on this one. Maybe people like to see others suffering in pain--or maybe they just liked my legs.

Becky Lewis said...

I am sooooooo sure it's the legs!

djones said...

Personally, I liked your legs...and the story. It really does look painful. I'm assuming that the red dots are that way because of real blood and not just red paint! Just kidding but it doesn't look fun at all. Does this sort of training remind you to do it differently next time? Hope so!

Love,
Dad