Well, the reason I haven't posted for a few days is I got a reminder of what post call days are like. We went back out to the range on Monday morning. Our task this time was qualifying, both during the day and at night, on our crew served weapons (basically big machine guns mounted on the truck). There were 3 different weapons that we qualified in. Also, we test fired several foreign made weapons such as AK-47's, that we could possibly encounter while deployed. Rather than bore you with the details, I will tell you there were a lot of really loud "bangs", a lot of sweating, a 2 hour power outage at 2AM that we had to wait for, a colleague falling from a humvee and tearing his patellar tendon, and a lot of clean up from firing thousands of rounds. Overall, it was fun to shoot the weapons, but I have to say I am glad it is over. We left at 6AM on Monday and returned at 6AM on Tuesday. After sleeping for 2 hours, we then had to spend the rest of Tuesday cleaning thoroughly the weapons we had shot the day before--and when I say thorough I mean clean enough to eat with clean. It was pretty painful.
Consequently last night was an early to bed night. The whole experience reminded me of how glad I am that residency call nights are a thing of the past!
I have posted a few pictures and some explanations below although I was too tired to take any pictures from the afternoon or night portions of the exercise.
A close up of the M2
Not the best video, but at least you can hear what things were like a little.

6 comments:
Your mom said:
It sounds like Monday/Tuesday was hard. I'm glad it's over. I hope that is the hardest day you will have in the coming year. I love you.
Love, Mom
Sounds grueling! I'm glad you survived that. I can't quite picture you with a mustache. You'll have to post a better picture soon! Saw your cute little family at the airport yesterday when Ryan got home. They seem to be doing great and the kids are having fun with their cousins. You're in our thoughts, hearts and prayers every day!
Hi Justin. As always, an interesting post! Do you shoot in teams; that is, is there always someone to the side watching the field. On each of the humvees it looked like there was a lookout. Why? It's fun to look forward to your daily blog. Even though you're far away, I think of you every day and, like so many others, you're in my prayers and thoughts. I'm sure proud of you. You're the best.
Love,
Dad
Justin,
Holy Crap man! Look at you and where you are! A long way from the Branbury, Addecco, The Rock on the Couch and Cous Cous meals! I have wanted to stay in better touch, and this will be a cool way to do it. I hope all is well with you, and know that we are now specifically praying for you and your family. Take care, and if you have an email address, let me know, I would love to catch up!
Stevens
You better enjoy that mustache while you're there...cuz there won't be any lovin' back home until that thing comes off!
Hey Justin,
Love reading your blog- hope all is well with you. Whats up with you and my husband?? you guys leave and start growing the fuzz? Take care....
Post a Comment