I'll be home soon...

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Day 56: Homesick

Don't worry about the title of this post--I'm not depressed, I'm not about to throw myself from the balcony, and I'm not about to jump in front of a moving bus. In fact everything here at Ft. Riley is good. Sometimes, like everyone who is away from home, I just feel a little homesick.

I miss my wife--her smile, her never wanting to go to bed even though she is dead tired, her always wanting to stay up late with me and watch a movie (even though we only fall asleep), her love for her kids and willingness to sacrifice for them, her tears and emotion which she doesn't try to hide, her testimony of her Savior.

I miss my Abbie--her amazing "brains", her never being able to tell a lie without smiling, her "I didn't fall asleep at all last night" stories, her liking to play basketball with me, her ability to instantly make friends with anyone, her beautiful prayers.

I miss my Ellie--her grin and uncontrollable laugh, her complete honesty even when she has been naughty, her creativity and amazing artwork, her wiggles that I can tell are so hard for her to control at times, her cutting her own hair, her pure, sweet spirit.

I miss my Eden--her tiny, little, cute, midget self, her wanting so bad to keep up with her big sisters, her blossoming language skills that still are hard to understand, her love of Mickey Mouse, her tears and sadness when someone corrects her, her little hand holding mine.

I miss my Ammon boy--his always wanting dad to change his diapers (at least that is what Sue says he wants), his sweet kisses, his two favorite words--dad and ball, his chubbiness, his always wanting to be with dad.

Today I was looking at some pictures from 2005. It is amazing how quickly my little ladies have changed since then. It made me a little sad for the things I am missing, but happy that I have been blessed with such a wonderful family.

Click to play HOMESICK
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Make a Smilebox slideshow

Marvin J. Ashton said, "There is a certain kind of yearning for home we should never want to lose. Home should be an anchor, a port in a storm, a refuge, a happy place in which to dwell, a place where we are loved and where we can love. Home should be where life’s greatest lessons are taught and learned. Home and family can be the center of one’s earthly faith, where love and mutual responsibility are appropriately blended. Thinking of home with its pleasant and happy memories can make us stronger during our present and future days here upon the earth."

My family and the happy memories I have had with them, will be a source of strength for me as I continue on this journey. There will be more lonely days ahead. However, ultimately these 452 days will pass and I will be with them again. Someday (hopefully in a very, very long time) this life will end for each of us. I can't imagine the depth of loneliness and homesickness that would be felt if I couldn't be with my family again. I am grateful for the knowledge I have that I can be with my Susie, Abbie, Ellie, Eden and Ammon forever after this life is through. I love you guys!

7 comments:

djones said...

Your mom said:
What a special blog. You and your brothers sure hold a special place in my heart as I reflect upon home. I hold dear the home I grew up in, the home where I was privileged to be called Mom, and now this home where it's just me and my sweetheart and the new title, Grandma. I love you.
Love, Mom

Amelia said...

Hi Justin, Your parents told us about what is going on in your life right now and your mom showed us your blog last night at the Washburn party. I read through some of your blog and am amazed at what you are going through. I just wanted to wish you luck with your training and everything. I told the rest of my family to check out your blog also - hope you don't mind.
Amelia

Mark said...

hey justin,
amelia forgot to put hi from me. I can't believe you are are heading over to the middle east. I just received an email from greg funk letting me know that he just got back from Iraq and that he might enlist for another term, and now i hear that you are going over. what is with you guys! just kidding, Take care of yourself, and be safe. If you get into trouble do what jennie told forrest gump to do and "just run." hahaha
seriously though, be careful and come home soon.

seung "mark"

Valerie said...

What a sweet tribute to your cute family! I can't imagine how hard it must be! I love to read about your adventures and your testimony, Good luck!

djones said...

Loved the blog. You're right, you have a very special family...but they have a great husband and dad! You're the best and we're all very proud of you!

Love,
Dad

Jason DeMarco said...

You guys are a great example to us all! Thanks for sharing the thought fo from Marvin J. Ashton, we will remeber it. I know you already know Justin, but yeah, you have the most adorable family. Our prayers are with you guys and we think of you often.

Beth said...

Hey, Justin,
We just enjoyed a great reunion with your darling family. I hate that you guys have to be apart, but I know that Heavenly Father will bless you for your sacrifices. Sue and the kids did a great job with the skit and Sue bore a powerful testimony to all of us. You should be so proud of your family and I know you are. They've been blessed with a wonderful husband and father. You remain always in our prayers; see you next month!