As the US entered the war, it built training sites for its soldiers. One of the largest training sites completed was Camp Funston which was finished in 1917. Nearly 50,000 soldiers were trained here in preparation for their journey to Europe to fight in the War to End All Wars. Today, thousands more are being trained for a different battle. War has changed much since 1918. However, the fight against those who would take away our freedom, still has a painful price that must be paid. To date over 4000 soldiers have made the ultimate sacrifice while defending our country in Iraq and Afghanistan.
As we remember those who have served and defended our liberty, in the past and now, we honor their sacrifice and pay tribute to their service. I am grateful for this great country that we live in. It isn't perfect. However, I know that it was founded by a wise and loving Father as a place where freedom could grow and His work could go forth. As I finish my last week of training here at Camp Funston, I am proud to be part of a legacy started here in 1917. I hope that we will never forget their sacrifice.
There is a monument on Camp Funston, built in 1918, in honor of those who trained here during WWI. Today I went on a walk out to the monument. Below are some pictures of the monument and some of surrounding Camp Funston.



3 comments:
Your mom said:
A very interesting blog. When did they changed the name to Fort Riley?
Love ya,
Mom
I love you! (Nice photos.) It was great seeing your face again after a week of no internet. Can't wait to see you soon.
One phase of this journey is almost done, we pray the next will soon be a memory.
Love ya.
Aunt Becky & Uncle Derwin
Post a Comment