On one particular day I went over to Lynn's house to shoot with him. I remember standing under a small fruit tree with a little bird in it. I was probably only 10 feet away. I aimed, I shot. BOOM! I waited for the bird to fall. I waited some more...and then the bird flew away. Lynn then took the pellet gun, aimed at a bird clear across the field, shot and watched it drop. My hopes of being a world renowned gun slinger were dashed in a moment.
Yesterday was my chance to redeem myself. It was range day. We had qualifications with the 2 weapons I mentioned yesterday--the M9 (pistol) and the M4 (rifle). First, we went to the M9 range. We were given 40 rounds (bullets). There were little green men that would randomly pop-up from the ground which you would shoot. Without any kind of practice they told us to go out and shoot them. Now, I actually had shot this weapon before, so I felt a little confident in my abilities. I went out to the range, loaded my weapon, and 40 loud bangs later, I had defeated my enemy and conquered the course.
Once everyone qualified (which took all day because people had to keep shooting until they were successful) we moved on to night shooting. This was pretty cool. We put on our night vision goggles, turned on a laser sight that is mounted to our weapon, and shot the same range in total darkness. With all the lasers turned on it was kind of like a laser show with a lot of loud sound effects. About 2AM this morning we all qualified and headed home.
It was a long, hot, uncomfortable day, but the shooting itself was pretty fun. I successfully qualified on all of my first attempts. So I am thinking of turning down my doctor job and becoming a sniper while I am in Afghanistan. What do you think? Well, okay, maybe I'll keep my day job and leave the shooting for someone else. But hey, those little birdies at Lynn's house better watch out now or they won't know what hit them.

6 comments:
remember, i taught lynn all he knows.
jk. way to show those guys how to shoot!
we really like reading about what you are up to. lynn likes it because you talk about guns and tough guy stuff. whatever. keep up the good work and thanks for having this blog to keep us updated on your where-abouts!
Honey...who would have guessed your rubber band rifle skills would ever come in handy?! Good job. Love you!
Let's do Trading Spaces (I have not actually watched the show by the same name so I don't really know the "trading" that takes place) but right now Uncle Derwin needs a doctor and I am thinking that an Afghanistan deployment may be easier to endure.
Your mom said:
Keep your day job! Love you.
Love, Mom
I wonder why I have to be anonymous to respond to your blog. After all, I am your mother.
Love, Mom
I love that last picture!
Post a Comment