Some of you may have seen that Ft. Riley made the national news yesterday. They were having a change of command ceremony and as part of it, 2 men parachuted down to the event. Unfortunately, one of the men lost control of his chute and ran into the military band at a speed of approximately 50 mph. Three members of the band were hurt--one was knocked unconscious, one broke his leg, and the other suffered a minor head/back injury. Also, one tuba and one trombone perished during the ordeal. The sky diver was not injured. The video makes it look rather painful!
Lessons learned from this event...
1) Don't jump out of a perfectly good airplane
2) Playing in a band can be a dangerous job
3) A 200 lb man falling out of the sky at 50 mph can destroy a tuba
I'll be home soon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Hey never mind national news , try International my girls saw it on GMTV here in Dundee Scotland.
Really enjoy the blog by the way.
I am Janice from Dundee Sue visited us a lot when she was on her mission, unfortunately for her nobody thought to teach her Dundee dialect before she came, unlike your spanish
Your mom and dad said:
We saw it today on the Today show. We feel so bad for those who were hurt.
Love ya,
Dad and mom
That is really to bad. I hope everyone is okay. I do like your lessons learned. Thanks for making me smile :)
Take care
Hey Sue,
Your lessons learned and signs of a bad hair day are so true!!! Thanks for making us smile!!! I shared your list with some friends, I think you could start some kind of consulting company of where not to go. Like a 1-800 number!
Take care the DeMarco's
WOW, I didn't realize playing in a band could be so dangerous! I have a band concert tonight, I'll watch out for out of control parachutes!
Thanks for sharing that video!
~Amy Hawkins
Post a Comment