I'll be home soon...

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Day 83: Three Extra Days!

I remember a few times during college and medical school, occasions when a test was postponed a few days or I was given an extra weekend to work on a research paper. I remember well the sensation of relief when I knew I had a little more precious time before the looming deadline arrived. An unexpected few days could definitely make a big difference.

Well this week I was given a few unexpected extra days (thanks Navy) to be home with my family. My pre-deployment leave was extended three days. So instead of being in Kansas right now, I am still at home! Instead of sleeping in a crowded barracks with a bunch of dirty sailors, I am able to enjoy a few more nights of goodnight stories and goodnight kisses. Needless to say, it was a very welcome surprise that has allowed me to enjoy a few more precious moments with Sue and the kids.

We have done many fun things over the past 10 days and hope to do a few more before I leave next week. I couldn't write about them all--however, below are a few pictures of some of the highlights.

Happy #5 Ellie

The 4 "Earls"

Lovely Ladies

Teaching the Younger Generation (I'm glad I didn't get caught doing this one)

A Surprise Visit from a Tarantula on our Driveway

Catching Up with Old Friends

Sunday Dinner with the Grandmas

An Overnight Escape at the Grand America

Pulling Handcarts at This is the Place Monument

Making New Friends

Exhaustion from too much FUN!

7 comments:

Sariah Hartley said...

Your kids are too cute!!! I'm glad you had a fun time.

Anonymous said...

I'm so grateful you got those 3 extra days. You have some darling pictures in this blog. I would sure like a copy of the "4 Earls".
Love ya, Mom

Dawn said...

Cute pictures! Was that tarantula on your driveway and was it alive when you found it? AAAHHH!

Beth said...

I'm so thankful you have these precious days together; it looks like you're using them well!

Kat said...

Justin,
It sure was great to see you guys! I can't believe how comfortable and fun it was to hang out again, even after 7years! That is a pretty fun group. I am so glad to hear that you are going to come back here to practice when you get back. The next year will fly and then we will be back at it!

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

We're sure glad we got to see you while you were here. Good luck, and know that you're in our prayers. We love you!

Unknown said...

these pictures are great! perfect photo capturing the op shorts. ok, and what's up with the tarantula? i'm having a hard time deciding which one is more gross. eeewww.
anyway, you have some really cute kids and a remarkable wife. don't worry, i'll make sure she doesn't go out partying while you're gone. :)

lynn and i were so glad we were able to hang out with you before you left! we always walk away from our hang-out sessions with you guys feeling so blessed to have such wonderful friends doing amazing things in their lives. good luck with everything!