I'll be home soon...

Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Day 94: "Two More Beers"

One thing I have learned since "joining" the Army is that once you are told when something is going to start, when you are leaving, or what you are doing...don't believe them. Changing plans is the rule rather than the exception. So was I surprised when yesterday afternoon our flight plans to Afghanistan were changed for the second time in less than 24 hours? No, of course not. We now are supposed to leave tomorrow morning. As soon as people heard they weren't leaving, they all realized that they could have two more beers. Here in Kyrgyzstan everyone is allowed 2 drinks in a 24 hour period. This is how some of my colleagues keep track of time. It isn't based on when the sun sets or the moon rises--time is monitored by how soon you can get your next 2 drinks. So we rearranged our bags (as seen below) so that they will fit on the "new" plane we will be taking and then we split off and went our separate ways to continue the waiting game. Some went and had their 2 beers while I went and had a bowl of ice-cream, a bag of M&M's, and a rice crispy treat. I guess we all find different ways to enjoy the simple pleasures in life. Until next time.

2 comments:

djones said...

Hi Justin. Hope you're having a good night's sleep while I'm writing this. It looks like it's about 1am where you're at. My first thought after reading your posting wasn't as much about the drinking as it was about your sweet attack. Stay strong my son! Just kidding. Well, sort of. It will be interesting to see if you're still in Kyrgyzstan next time we get a post from you. Love you lots, Dad

Anonymous said...

I like your choice of treats. The rice crispy treat sounds yummy. I love you and miss you.
Love, Mom