I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Day 72: Graduation

I have been involved in several graduations during my life. They include:

West Jordan High School
Brigham Young University
George Washington University School of Medicine
Naval Hospital Camp Pendleton Family Medicine Residency

and now...

Fort Riley Transition Team and Combat Advisor Training

Yes, today I finally did it. The hard work and sacrifice paid off as I joined my colleagues in a joyous graduation ceremony. After 72 days of strenuous labor, we finally have been certified and qualified to move on to bigger and better things...one year of service in Afghanistan.

The accomplishments have been many. The memories are innumerable. Here are some of the highlights:

-20 man barracks, shared bathrooms, and never really being alone (oh, the joys of having friends).
-Guns, guns and more guns.
-Two trips back to Utah to see the family
-Shooting for 10 short minutes and then spending 8 hours cleaning our weapons
-The DFAC (dining facility)...flies, bread pudding (I wish I would have taken a picture), beef stew and dumplings (you don't want to know) and lots of ice cream!
-Good use of precious time: 15 minutes of lecture, 30 minutes of break, 15 minutes of lecture, 2 hour break, stop for lunch, 15 minute lecture, and then call it a day.
-Dinner at Famous Daves
-Heat index of 112 degrees, full body armor and no air conditioning!
-iChat with the family
-Being able to run (at least a little) without throwing up.
-Getting shot at with paint balls and rubber pellets
-Finally finding the peanut butter M&Ms in the MRE
-No dirty diapers. Sorry honey.
-Worrying that they actually might give real bullets to a few of my classmates (luckily they aren't going to Herat)
-Rainstorms, golf ball sized hail, and tornadoes
-Basketball games
-Associating with good people
-Finally being DONE!

I will be home for the next 10 days. Hopefully, I will be able to see many of you during that time. Thanks again for all that everyone has done to support Sue and I during these times. We love you guys.

**Publishers note: no pictures were included in this post due to the graduation ceremony only lasting 7 minutes. An attempt to take pictures after was attempted, however, this failed due to the mad rush of all participants to the door for a quick exit back home. Sorry.

3 comments:

Hannah said...

Congratulations on graduating! I'm glad that you finally found peanut butter M&Ms -- those are the best.

You forgot your kindergarten graduation in your list. That's a big one.

Jason DeMarco said...

I am so glad that you have gotten to see your family a little bit and will have the next 10 days with them. Tears of joy. We are keeping you, Sue and your little ones in our prayers. Miss you guys in Fallon. We will be in Vegas soon.Jason starts work on Aug.18th. Kids and I will follow. We really enjoy how you and Sue are able to keep strong testimonies during this time. You guys are an example to us all. Thank You and for your service and keeping us all safe at home.

djones said...

Your mom said:
August 8 and I'm just reading your blog. Another good one. It was so good to see you Wed. See you on Sunday. I love you.
Love, Mom