Since leaving on this deployment, I have often thought of those who have gone before me in previous conflicts. I think of the soldiers storming the beach at Normandy or those who waded through rice paddies in Vietnam. I can't imagine being on a plane about to parachute into enemy territory or being asked to storm a machine gun nest. How grateful I am for the brave men and women who have given their greatest effort and for many their lives in defending our country.
Luckily, I am not being asked to perform such dangerous tasks. My sacrifice is much less than those who have gone before. My greatest sacrifice is leaving my wife, children, and the comforts of home for a year. Sure there is some stress associated with entering a "combat zone". However, I will be in generally safe places and will be well protected. One of my good friends, Mike, recently arrived here at Ft. Riley. He also is heading to Afghanistan for a year. He left his beachfront (well at least near the beach) home in Guam, his pregnant wife (due any day with girl #1), and little boy to come on this deployment. I am always amazed at the strength of those who endure one of the greatest sacrifices military service can ask of a family--having a baby while Dad is away on deployment. I can't imagine missing the birth of one of my children and then most of their first year of life. Thanks Mike and Gemma for making this huge sacrifice.
Someone once taught me that if we ever want to truly become like the Savior, He who sacrificed all, we too must be willing to sacrifice. It isn't always easy to do those things in life that are right or are expected of us. However, as we sacrifice we learn those lessons that help us progress towards perfection. Hopefully as I board my plane and head overseas tomorrow, I will learn a little more about sacrifice and take one more step in the direction of becoming as He is.

5 comments:
Will Mike be close in proximity to you? I hope so. Stay close to the spirit so you can recognize His promptings......I know you will. We love you and that cute family of yours. We will do our part to take care of them while you are away.
XOXO
Becky & Derwin
May God go with you tomorrow and stay with you for this next year, as He also watches over your sweet family. I second Aunt Becky's advice. I know you and Sue are already becoming more like the Savior through this experience and I know that will continue. We're so blessed to have all of you in our lives and part of our eternal family. Thank you for the sacrifices you are making for our country!
What a wonderful blog. We also have thought often about those who have sacrificed for our freedoms. We love our country and appreciate those who have gone before. We love you and we appreciate you and your family's sacrifices. It was nice to talk with you, Mike and your family yesterday. We love you, Mom and Dad.
Good luck Justin. You're in our prayers.
It was fun to see and talk to Mike. It's too bad that he couldn't have stayed long enough to see the birth of his baby.
Love, Dad
Post a Comment