I'll be home soon...

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Day 87: Animal Cookies

In High School, my friend Lynn and I had a great summer job--we were carpenters. That is right, I, the man who can barely hammer a nail, worked at Granite School District in their carpentry shop. It was a rough job. A typical day consisted of arriving at the shop, playing a game or two of darts and then driving to one of our schools (stopping for doughnuts on the way of course). Once at the school, strained by the long drive and feeling the effects of a half dozen doughnuts, we had to take our first break. This break typically consisted of settling into the lounge and watching an episode of the Price is Right followed by The People's Court. We then would wander out into the halls, fix a few lockers, talk with some of the school maintenance folk, and then before you knew it it was lunch time. Lunch was typically a run to Burger King, Taco Bell or the like with a short (30 minute to an hour) nap at the Park. By the time lunch was over, we would pound on a few more lockers, maybe watch Magnum PI, then clean up and head back to the shop. As you can imagine they were taxing and strenuous days.

One day I remember well. Lynn and I had purchased a large bag of animal cookies. These were the good kind with the pink and white frosting that were covered in sprinkles. I had eaten a good number of them (probably half the bag) when we decided that we would race around the school track. We sprinted around for one lap and when we got back our boss told us to jump in the truck to head on to our next location. By the time we were out of the parking lot, I started to feel the cold sweat and knot in my stomach, that I knew would be followed by some form of embarrassment. Luckily I was by the window, and as we drove down the street, out came a half a bag of animal cookies. This was my first running and throwing up experience...unfortunately it wasn't my last.

Several times since I have been in the Navy, as I have run my semiannual physical fitness test, I have gotten sick at the end of the run. There have been no animal cookies involved in these incidents. I honestly think it is just the result of lack of preparation, four kids, and too many late night ice cream treats. Anyway, it has become one of my greatest fears that I will throw up at the end of any significant exertion.

Luckily, since I started my deployment training, I have avoided any "incidents". In fact, I have been pretty proud of my ability to actually run a significant distance and do it rather quickly. This has led me to the decision to spend the next year training for something I have always said I was going to do, but never had the time or will power to follow up on. This goal of which I speak is running a marathon. Don't get me wrong, I really don't like to run. I would much rather play some basketball, tennis, or ping pong for that matter. However, since running on the treadmill is my only real option for exercise in Afghanistan, marathon training it will be.

Now for those of you who want to join me, I would love to have some company and some fellow marathon trainers back home. On the weekend of September 27, 2009, I will be running the Lake Tahoe Marathon. For those of you who only want to run a 5K or 10K, those events are available as well. There are also biking or kayaking options. There is even a free kids run for all kids over the age of 2. For those of you who don't want to run, it still would make a good weekend getaway. Really, I can't think of many good excuses why you wouldn't want to come (well, okay, maybe I can think of a few that I would use, but they really aren't GOOD excuses).

Anyway, it should be a good opportunity for all of us to get in shape and have a little weekend vacation. Finally, as added incentive, for anyone who comes, runs, and finishes their race, I will have a reward waiting at the finish line...


...a large bag of animal cookies.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jones,Haylie told me that I needed to read your blog today and I was not disappointed. Those were the days, I've often wondered how "Big O", "Woody", and the others are doing. Unfortunately I will be gone for the Marathon, but I am up for St. George in October.

Anonymous said...

Count us in...well, Dad's in for the 5K and Mom says that maybe she's good for watching the kids! We're already really excited for September 2009. Love you lots! Be safe. Love, Mom and Dad

Becky Lewis said...

okay Justin, we just got us a treadmill so here's the deal...I could probably make the 26 miles by then, what's that about 2 minutes a day? Think that will work? Oh well, we'll be here cheering you on.
XOXO
th Lewis'

Becky Lewis said...

Oh and I wanted to tell you, your brother at Weber High is one of Autumn's favorite people. It takes me awhile, Autumn knew all along that he is your brother. He won't be there this year and the kids are all upset about that.

Jon said...

I'm in for the marathon!! I've heard people say that running a marathon is like having a child. I've got to run one more to keep up with Dawn.