
For approximately 48 hours, I am calling the Kyrgyz Republic home. Kyrgyzstan was once part of the former Soviet Union. When the Soviet Union fell, Kyrgyzstan gained its independence and has been a democratic nation ever since. Russian is still one of its official languages and about 20% of the population is Russian. The U.S. uses the country as a resupply point for its operations in Afghanistan.
Today was a day with no real purpose. Our flight leaves in the morning see we had the day to relax, adjust to the new time zone, eat, sleep, read, or watch movies. We are staying on Manas Air Force Base. The Air Force is known for taking good care of its people and consequently their living conditions are often better than those on Army or Navy bases. Here on this tiny base there are 2 movie theaters, 4 computer labs, a library, a salon offering manicures, pedicures, massages, etc., areas to play video games, and of course for those that drink, a bar. It was nice just to relax and have a day to prepare for the next leg of the journey. I should be in Afghanistan by tomorrow at some point!
This shop had many relics from the Soviet area. You could buy Russian currency, stamps, clothing, etc.
They even had a Pizza Hut.
They claim the tap water isn't safe, so everywhere you go on base there are stashes of bottled water for the taking.
This is a bell dedicated to those who have served in OEF (Operation Enduring Freedom)
A view of a portion of the base. The rest looks about the same--pretty plain.
The Danger Zone. In the dining facility they have bins of candybars that you can take at anytime in any quantity desired. Up until now I have avoided the temptation. Good thing we are leaving tomorrow before my will power disappears.
We have started noticing some unfamiliar languages on some of the food packaging. This milk is not skim, 1% or even 2%. It is 3.2% milkfat--they probably should just call it whole.
One of the many movie rooms. In addition, they have some larger movie theaters. We had time to relax and watch a little movie this morning.

12 comments:
Wow...why didn't we join the Air Force?!
if i'm not mistaken, the label on that milk looks like it reads "mormon".
are you just trickin' us? are you really at the mtc? all you can eat treats, the chapel, uniforms, mormon milk, hmmmmmmm... makes me wonder just a little bit.
(ok, the mtc minus the bar & theaters).
Take as much chocolate as you can, so long as they let they take it with you, it will be good for you and will also go down with your new locals
Hi Justin. Each leg of your trip is just as interesting as the one preceeding it. I liked the chapel...easy to set up, easy to take down. I think I would like the larger movie theatre however (as long as there's a choice). The selection of candy bars was impressive. Even from a distance it was easy to tell that they select only the best for America's men and women! Hope you have a good day and we'll talke/see you tomorrow.
Love, Dad
Wow, those treats look great. Good luck with your willpower!
Love, Mom
The picture of the chapel reminded me that we visited the Las Brisas Ward on Sunday. No one called me "Justin" but many people thought I looked really familiar for some reason. I gave them the update of how you are doing, and the old Ward wanted me to tell you hello!
Who is anonymous?
This is for Sue , hmm what if I said I was Justin's secret admirer and number one fan ?? !!!!!
Also he is now living closer to me than you.
You can have 3 guesses.
Nick?
To Sue, no its not Nick, but I do have a son who now prefers to be called Nick. Another clue Jute Jam and Journalism.
Janice!
To Sue, well done !! Do you not think Justin would have liked to have a secret admirer ?
Post a Comment