The trip began early--I was up by 1:00 AM (I still am trying to beat this jet lag thing) preparing for our 6:00 AM departure. After waiting for several hours, we made our way from the base to the Kyrgyzstan airport. For this leg of the journey, the flight was to be on a Spanish C-130 with full “battle rattle” (body armor) worn. A C-130 is an old, propeller type plane, used for decades to transport supplies. It really wasn’t designed to transport people--at least not comfortably. As you can see in the pictures, we basically sat on seats made of nylon netting with all of our gear loaded on pallets in the back. There is no heat or AC, there is no bathroom, there is no real room to get up and move around. It is a good thing that our flight was only a three hour one.


Walking off the plane was an unforgettable experience. As plane propellers were noisily spinning, helicopters were flying in all directions around us. Guards stood by as international forces, American soldiers and local Afghan citizens went about their respective business. The reality of it all just really sunk in and I think we were all a little shell shocked.
After waiting for several hours, we finally were able to get a ride from the airport to one of the large bases here in Kabul named Camp Phoenix. Once again, it was an amazing experience to make that first convoy through the city. I don’t think any of us felt particularly worried about our safety--we were in an armored bus (see picture below) with our body armor in place, surrounded by an armed escort. It was just incredible to watch the people. There were old bearded men, women covered with burqas and kids walking home from school. I especially liked watching the kids. You could see the innocence and goodness in their eyes. Some just looked at us, others waved, and some gave us a thumbs up.

There is much more I could say. It was an interesting and eventful day. However, I think it is enough to say that I am safe and ready to continue on with this adventure. I will fill in more details later as time permits.

8 comments:
I'm grateful for your safe arrival in Afghanistan; it sounds like quite a trip! May God continue to go with you.
Justin, like Beth, I'm glad that you're safe in Afghanistan. What an amazing experience you're having. Even though we'd all prefer that you were here, you're getting the proverbial salt that adds savor to life. As much as you can, absorb the good in all around you and let it mold your character and touch your soul. There are reasons that you're there. For our part here, we love you so very, very much and think of you constantly. I could hardly wait to get back from my meetings to see if you had posted something. "Yes!" I thought to myself. "There's a new blog. Yippie." I could hardly wait for the text and pictures to load. Be safe.
Love, Dad
It was interesting to read your blog.
I'm grateful for your safety. I'm actually here at your house with your darling family. We love you lots and miss you lots.
Love, Mom
We too are happy for the safe "landing" in all ways. Stay safe, you are in our prayers.
This is my second time trying to leave a comment...this blogging thing...very confusing. Saved to my favorites so I can become a diligent blogger. Glad you made it safely. You, Sue, and the kids are in our prayers.
Do you have a new email address?
Take Care
I heard you are sick. I hope you get better soon. I love you.
Love, Mom
I really enjoy reading your posts. I'm so glad that you made it in safely. What an incredible part of the world...I can only imagine.
-Bryan
Thanks for the call. It was great to hear your voice and talk to you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment