I'll be home soon...

Thursday, August 7, 2008

Day 74: Bear Hugs


One of the best things about coming home after a long time away is all the hugs you get. I remember when Abbie was a baby, there was a period where I was away from her and Sue for several weeks. I will never forget the reunion at the airport--I walked up, Abbie gave a cautious little smile (hey, I think I know this guy I'm sure she thought), then she hung on as tight as she could for about a half an hour (just to make sure I wouldn't slip away). She didn't say anything, she just gave me the biggest hug of my life.

Yesterday, when I got home Ammon did the same thing. It must be the normal reaction at this age. He wouldn't look at me (maybe he thought I would disappear if he did), but his death grip assured me that he was happy to see me. This morning he was the first one awake. When I walked into his room, he looked at me suspiciously as if to say, "are you really still here". Again, he didn't say anything (not that he ever says much) and just held me as tight as he could for about 30 minutes until he was sure I was really there. There is nothing nicer than being the recipient of a I'm not going to let you disappear again bear hug from your one year old.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome Home Justin! Hope you had a safe trip! I really miss you guys! Have a great time together!

Dawn said...

Oh that's so sweet, Justin. You have such a wonderful family and you are a great dad! I'm sure they miss you terribly.

Sariah Hartley said...

That's so cool that you get to come home!

Dean, Andrea, Tanner, Landon, & Braddock said...

Super cute! We are excited to see you tonight!

Gemma said...

It's been a blessing to have friends like you and Sue share this trial of deployment w/ Mike & me. Thanks for sharing. Have a wonderful and memorable time at home!

Aunt Jean said...

Man,you guys are going to make me cry! Ammon is an amazing hugger isn't he? All your kids are just so sweet and adorable - you're a lucky dad who is very much loved. By the way, tell Sue she is still welcome to stay at my house if she changes her mind and wants to come see you off from Fort Riley. I remember goodbye's before deployments, and it's always nice to have family there to send you off, even if they already said their goodbyes....tell them to come!

Anonymous said...

Your mom said:
Well, this blog puts tears in your eyes. I sure do love you and your sweet family.
Love, Mom