I'll be home soon...

Monday, September 1, 2008

Day 99: Living with the Hungarians


Right now I am living in a connex box. Basically, this is a shipping container that has been converted to living space. It is a very common form of housing here on Afghan bases due to their availability and the ease of converting them to living space. The only reason I am living in it is that my flight from Kabul to Herat keeps getting delayed. We were supposed to leave Sunday, then Tuesday, and now the plan is to leave Thursday. I guess I should be used to the waiting by now after nearly 100 days of doing so.


I am heading to Herat with one other person. We have been sharing the 4 man connex box alone. However, today we got a few new roommates. They are from Hungary and are here for a few days while awaiting a shipment from home. They actually speak pretty good English, so it has been fun talking to them. Kabul International Airport is run by NATO and there are people from many countries here. I have seen representatives from Australia, Italy, France, the Czech Republic, Belgium, Turkey, Germany, Iceland, and obviously the US and Afghanistan. It is interesting to see their different camps, uniforms, weapons, vehicles, etc. As much as they are different, it is amazing how similar they are. Just talking with the Hungarians made me realize that regardless of your nationality we share many of the same struggles, find joy in many of the same things, and ultimately want the same thing--to better the lives of our Afghan brothers and then to get home ASAP.

3 comments:

Becky Lewis said...

Such diversity in the world is what makes us all so beautiful....racism exists only when we are ignorant of others culture, so educate yourself to each one so that you can help erase the racism that hurts. You are truly blessed to be having this exposure for your children's sake and ours.
Love you Justin, you are a great man. I am so happy that Sue has you.
XOXO
Becky & Derwin

Beth said...

I'm so sorry that you have to keep playing "the waiting game"; anything's better than sitting and twiddling your thumbs. At least you're getting to meet some new and interesting people. Hope you can get to your base soon!

Anonymous said...

It must be fascinating to come into contact with so many different people. There's nothing like diversity to keep you open-minded. We love you and look forward to talking to you again soon.
Love, Mom and Dad