I'll be home soon...

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Day 102: Home Sweet Home


After nearly 2 weeks of travel, I finally slept in “my bed” last night. That’s right, I finally arrived in Herat last evening. There was an unexpected Italian flight that left Kabul yesterday and we were quick to jump on it. The flight was uneventful although exciting. We again flew in a C-130 and had the usual cargo net seating, no bathroom, quick ascent, and winding, fast-banking descent, much like I described when we flew into Kabul. Once I arrived I ate some dinner, checked out my new office and then unpacked. It is a great feeling to know that I no longer have to live out of a suitcase. I am excited to finally get working and start doing something worthwhile.

The name of our base is Camp Stone which is named after an Army sargeant who died in this area. In the coming days I will post pictures and describe more of what it is like (once I figure it out myself).

I love you and miss you all.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm excited that you are finally there. I know you will be a great asset to the people you serve. I think you are awesome. I love you lots.
Love, Mom

djones said...

Wow. We are so excited for you. It was fun to be the first ones to see your new home. We're looking forward to seeing the new "digs" and surroundings. We're also anxious to see how the iChat works. Love you lots.
Dad

Beth said...

Hurray! You can finally settle in and not just sit and wait!Anxious to hear about your new "digs". Take care and remember everyone who loves you and is praying for you.