I'll be home soon...

Friday, September 19, 2008

Day 118: Eavesdropping

When I was in High School we had only one phone in our house. Hard to believe I know, but my parents couldn’t be convinced to put in a jack for another and this was long before the day when everyone had a cell phone. Someday my kids will read this and be shocked...what no cell phone...how did you survive?...dad, how old are you? Well, what made things even more interesting was that the phone wasn’t even cordless...yes kids there are phones out there that have cords. The cord we had on the phone was about one foot long. You remember the coiled up, stretchy, always gets tangled up kind of cords. If you don’t remember, drop by my parents house sometime and you can see the old thing--it's still there.

Anyway, the phone worked fine, but the real problem was that with such a short cord you could never really escape from a curious mother or even worse, brothers who were always looking for any reason to tease you. Calling the guys to arrange to play ball or calling about a homework assignment was no big deal. However, every once in a while, I would call a GIRL to ask her out on a date or just to chat. Okay kids, I know you don’t believe that one either...but it happened once or twice...I think. I actually was pretty hot as a teenager, once the buck teeth disappeared. Anyway, add awkward teenager, already afraid to call a girl, with brothers eavesdropping around the corner, and it was a recipe for complete embarrassment.

I was reminded of those days this morning as I was getting ready to talk to Sue and the kids. As I was plugging in my laptop, I heard a guy talking on the phone across the room to his wife or girlfriend or somebody I assume was of the female gender. I heard..."your eyes are so beautiful...I love your hair...your legs are incredible...you are sooooooo sexy." It seemed to be getting a little inappropriate so I quit listening--scared of what he might say next. Now don’t get me wrong, I am a romantic guy (Sue, quit rolling your eyes) and love to whisper sweet nothings into my Susie’s ear. However, in a small room with 20 other guys listening--I guess I am a little too private or shy or sane for that.

Now everyone but Sue quit reading...really, I mean it...quit eavesdropping. Honey, you are so hot, so beautiful, so wonderful, so talented, I love you!


8 comments:

Sue said...

I love you too...hot stuff!

Unknown said...

lynn and i laughed out loud when you described yourself in high school. those buck teeth WERE pretty awesome! go justin!

Anonymous said...

Justin, you make me laugh! Don't you remember the cord that allowed you to go into the bathroom? . . . or was it the blue room? You don't know how good you had it. I love you.
Love, Mom

djones said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
djones said...

Oh the good ol' days! The fact that you remember each fine detail is evidence of the fact that those were great times never to be forgotten. The nice thing is that you can share them so clearly and accurately with your brothers who went through the same ordeals! You'll look fondly back on the one-phone home when there are at least six cell phones with tons of extra services that you have to pay for each month. Good luck and welcome to the 21st century.
Love, Dad

Anonymous said...

We've been showing the kids your blog. They are very interested in Afghanistan and with everything you are involved in. Andrew says he doesn't want to live in the desert or in a home with just one phone either. Andrew thinks he needs a cell phone and covertly sneaks Jeff's to make calls and leave messages at his own house, sometimes pretending to be his own cousins. We're in trouble if he ever gets his own phone. Your parents were wise. :)

Kim

Anonymous said...

You are right about the phone. Kids these days have it way too easy. Kim and I spend our evenings thinking of ways we can deprive the kids just so they don't get too spoiled.

I don't remember you calling any girls. I think you are going to have to get one of the brothers to back your story up.

Now I do remember catching a brother in an embarrasing moment (dancing with a girl at the park under lamp light using the car radio) but I don't think it was you.

We won't blow your cover...you can keep telling your "stories" to Sue of your womanizing.

- Jeff

Jon said...

"pretty hot as a teenager...calling a girl for a date"

I think we grew up in different homes :)