Muslims around the world right now are involved in their holy month of Ramadan. During Ramadan, fasting is practiced from dawn to sunset daily for 30 days. They are not to eat or drink during this period as a way to put aside worldliness, overcome temptations, and come closer to God. At the same time, they are to give zakat or offerings to the poor as part of Ramadan. Prayer is also an essential part of this period.
Fasting is an important part of my religious beliefs as well. For those who may not be familiar with my faith, we fast a minimum of one time per month. The day set aside for fasting is typically the first Sunday of each month. Besides not eating or drinking during this period, we are to pray and focus on the things of God. Similar to Islam, we give a monetary offering as part of our fast to help the poor and needy.
Today was my Sabbath--although it didn’t feel like it because I worked all day. Regardless, I was able to join my Muslim brothers and sisters and spend the day fasting. Especially at this time, as I am in a strange and often dangerous country, I am grateful for the strength gained through relying on my Heavenly Father. I am grateful for the gift of the fast and pray it will strengthen myself and my family over this difficult year.

5 comments:
My parent's have a foreign exchange student this year. He is from Kuwait! It is fun to learn about some of our similar beliefs. Sometimes we complain about fasting once a month, a whole month would be hard.
Our Sabbath today was Stake conference - the 30th anniversary of the Huntsville UT stake. Starr played her flute as part of a musical number, she was awesome. Take care of yourself. We love you and keep all of you in our prayers each and every moment.
I love Fast Sundays; they always strengthen me and today was no exception. I'm sorry you had to spend yours working, but glad you could be strengthened by the fast. We were fasting for you and your family today and will be every Fast Sunday until your safe return. I really enjoy the beautiful photo!
Hi Justin. We fasted yesterday too. We were with Jon and his family as Becca was baptized the day before. You and your family were in our prayers and fast. We love you!
Dad
Hi Justin,
I loved your blog. I can feel your strength. Have a safe day. I love you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment