I'll be home soon...

Monday, September 15, 2008

Day 114: My "Daddy Wall"

I wish I remembered what it was like to THINK like a kid. The things they say and write are funny at times, other times insightful, and occasionally inspirational. The “think before you speak” thing that most adults have engrained in them, has no domination over little kids. They simply say what comes into their curious little minds. There is no reason to over analyze things. If something is “true” or “right” you just say it. Sue has recently posted some funny "kid quotes" on her blog.

Since arriving here in Herat, I have received a few packages. In them, the kids have been sure to send me some notes and pictures. I decided that I needed a “daddy wall” where I could put up some of the things they send me. This is my substitute for putting things up on the refrigerator--since I have no fridge.

Below is my wall and some close ups of some of my favorites.

The "Daddy Wall"

I like the "mad guy"--why is he smiling?

This one is just sweet

This one motivated me to cut back on the treats and keep up with the running. Is my belly really that big?

It's all very simple to Abbie..."Why can't you just come home. I would do that." Oh I wish it really were that simple.

8 comments:

Sue said...

That's so funny...I took a picture of Abbie's letter to post on my blog as well. I was particularly amused by "Yesterday we went to the mall. We were there all day. I don't know why." Looks like she got a few of her dad's genes!

mkamye said...

I love how Abbie wants to take the computer in her room to have a sleepover with you. That is so sweet!

Beth said...

I think the sleepover is a great idea and I love the "Daddy wall". Things like that can keep you going!

djones said...

How come I'm never the first the comment any more? Too many admirers! Oh well, Dad's get used to being in the background sometimes but we love to be part of our family. What a wonderful family you have...and so "right" brained! Where did they get those artsy talents.
Love you lots.
Dad

Anonymous said...

I think the sleepover idea from Abbie is fun. I like your "Daddy Wall". I love you.
Love Mom

Hendry Happenings said...

Abbie's letter made my cry. I wish we all thought like a seven-year-old.

Jon said...

The letters from the kids are sweet. It's interesting to hear the thoughts that go through our kid's minds. Carter recently wrote a letter to Dawn and said, "I love you so much. Thanks for being my Mom and not giving me to an orphanage." (I think he was trying to be funny...)

Laura said...

We love you and miss you too, but we didn't draw any pictures. Maybe we should?