Today I took a field trip to the Afghan National Army Hospital in Herat. I actually work with the police, not the army, but I figured this would be a good opportunity to introduce myself to Afghan medicine and network a little bit. The hospital is just outside the American base and on the Afghan Army base. The hospital itself looks like a clinic more than a hospital. It is quite small but it was surprisingly well equipped. There is a lab, radiology, ICU, Emergency room, operating room, etc. There were a lot of “doctors” around although I am not sure what they were doing. Overall I was impressed with the facilities. The patient care was more suspect...lack of necessary medications, undertrained doctors, and antiquated practices. I would never think of taking anyone I knew to that hospital, but by Afghan standards it was alright. The scary thing is that the army medical system is light years ahead of the police system...so I may see some interesting stuff over the next few months.
Above is pictured my interpreter and I in front of the hospital.

2 comments:
I'm thinking your visit there will help all of us be more grateful for what we have here. I'm sure you can do great good there. Take good care of yourself.
Cute doctor in the picture. I love you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment