That was my experience today. Not only am I starting a new job, but I am doing something completely different from anything I have done before. My job is to mentor members of the Afghan National Police medical force. I will be ordering supplies, helping determine what equipment to buy, figuring out how a clinic should be designed--all stuff I never learned in residency. No longer will I be taking care of patients, but instead I will be advising “doctors” (a lot of the doctors aren’t really doctors apparently) how to fix their broken healthcare system. Hence, today was a day filled with questions, confusion, more questions, and of course more confusion. The real problem was that I didn’t know to whom I could address any of my questions. My predecessor is gone and the rest of the guys in the office do “real Army” stuff.
So I spent the day calling random people, sifting through piles of paper, and searching on our work computer for clues about what I am here to do. Oh well, at least the first day is over--it can only get easier from here (I think?).
Here is a picture of my new living accommodations. I have my own room--well sort of. I live in a long building call a B-hut. The rooms consist of plywood partitions that separate one living area from the next. It’s not the Ritz Carlton but at least I finally have a little space to call my own.

4 comments:
Wow...that looks...not very comfortable. At least you don't have a roommate--kind of. I love you!
So glad that you're there. Sorry about all the frustrations. Hope you're right about things getting better. Love the quarters. I'll be curious to see how the internet works.
Love, Dad
So glad that you're there. Sorry about all the frustrations. Hope you're right about things getting better. Love the quarters. I'll be curious to see how the internet works.
Love, Dad
Wow, that sounds so difficult but I know you will be able to figure it out. My prayers are with you. (I'm worrying about my j-pass. It sounds simple compared to your job! Good luck.) Looks like tight quarters. I love you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment