I'll be home soon...

Saturday, September 27, 2008

Day 126: Priceless

A tank of gas for your SUV...$125.00

Taking the family to watch BYU trounce the Utes in football this year...$250.00


A new iPhone...$399.00

Calling home to talk to your family from Afghanistan...PRICELESS.


Well, actually it cost $70, but it was worth it. Wouldn't you pay any amount to talk to these cute little critters?

So you ask, where did the good Dr. go? Why hasn't he posted anything on his blog for more than a week? Is everything okay? Alright maybe only Sue and my mom noticed I hadn't posted for a while but I'm sure the rest of you would have noticed eventually. The answer is two-fold. First, I was away in Adraskan for 4 days where I had no real internet connection. Second, the Army decided to take away our free internet access (temporarily they say...although they don't seem to be in a hurry to fix it). Consequently, after returning from Adraskan I had no way to blog, call home, or video chat. The only option was to start paying $70 a month for barely faster than dial up internet service--some Afghan is making a killing on us desperate to call home soldiers. Today I finally scrounged up some money (no I'm not broke--actually am I honey?). It took me a few days to get the $70 because the only way to get cash here is the ATM and it is...wouldn't you know it...broken. Can you sense why I think their is some kind of conspiracy taking place here.

I guess I will be grateful. I was finally able to call home and talk to Sue and the kids today. Ellie and Abbie both told me of goals they kicked in their soccer games. Eden said, "Dad, I like you." Ammon listened quietly--I'm sure he smiled. Sue said some mushy stuff that can't be published. It truly is priceless to be reconnected to those I love most--although it still is a rip off.

For any of you bored enough, I posted the events of my last week. The highlight was the helicopter ride...it may be worth at least glancing at the pictures.

8 comments:

Sue said...

I noticed your treat tracker has sadly slipped back to one.

Beth said...

Welcome back! We definitely have missed you and hoped that you'd be "connected" again soon!

Becky Lewis said...

I read it all and have checked every day to see if you were back. How frustrating! Awesome pictures. Keep that camera ever ready at all times.
Derwin & Becky

Anonymous said...

I too was getting worried and said so on Sue's blog, glad you are safe and well. Hope they give you back your free internet, how many treats can you buy for $2 a day.
I like your 'waiting 'comments reminds me of another phrase we use... lefthand doesn't know what the righthand is doing.
keep smiling and stay safe

Anonymous said...

I missed you lots. So glad your blogs are back. I love you.
Love, Mom

djones said...

If BYU and Utah each make it past TCU, maybe we'll see who wins the conference championship and maybe the right to play in a BCS bowl! I'd put my money on BYU right now but we'll see. Love, Dad

Hendry Happenings said...

I am glad to see that you are back in action!

Andrew said...

"djones said...

If BYU and Utah each make it past TCU, maybe we'll see who wins the conference championship and maybe the right to play in a BCS bowl! I'd put my money on BYU right now but we'll see."

And I thought more of the Joneses ;), though we'll see about the 'trouncing' part.