Have you ever noticed in life that a good thing can sometimes be a bad thing? Conversely, what is sometimes considered bad can end up being beneficial for us. A few examples...Money is good, right? Well usually, but we all know someone whose wealth or lust for it led to their downfall. Another example would be this deployment--fifteen months away from home and family equals bad. However, I believe that ultimately this experience is strengthening Sue and I in ways that we still don’t understand. So although this deployment is a “bad” thing, in a sense it is a “good” thing. I think you get the picture.
Well today I had a practical exercise in how good is bad and bad is good. To help me explain, first I will share a little personal secret--I have a little bladder. Yes its true, whenever we drive on a family vacation most of the “potty breaks” are for dad and not the kids. If I drink a big glass of water, I can guarantee you that within 30 minutes I will be trying to locate the facilities. A little bladder definitely is a bad thing. Because of this little problem I have, it requires that I am careful about not drinking much before I go out on a long convoy. Can you imagine me saying to my team, “hey, pull over, I’ve got to go.” Remember there is no quick stop at the gas station or McDonalds over here when nature calls. The Taliban usually don’t like it when you knock on their door and ask to borrow their bathroom.
Well today we went on a 2 hour drive south of here to a little base called Shouz. The drive down was fine. However, right as we were getting into the trucks to head home, I started having a horrible coughing spell. Try as I might I couldn’t stop coughing. I tried drinking a little water to help. Soon I had drained 2 bottles of water in my attempt to get rid of the cough. Two bottles of water with two hours of driving still to go for me and my little bladder--I knew I could be in trouble. Then something bad happened, which actually ended up being good. Our Humvee started to overheat. It got hot enough that we had to cut the A/C and turn on the heater (most of you probably know that trick). So here we are driving in our up-armored vehicle with 40 pounds of armor on and with the heater on full blast. It got hot fast. I started to sweat and I didn’t stop sweating until I had probably sweat off about 2 bottles worth of water. So the badness of my little bladder was offset by the badness of our overheating Humvee, which ultimately led to the goodness of me not having to make an emergency bathroom break. Confused yet. If not then you will understand that the badness of my cough led to the badness of me needing to eat two bowls of ice-cream for dinner, which led to the goodness of a happy tummy. I think I’ll quit now.
I'll be home soon...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


10 comments:
Wow...random stream of consciousness. I am totally laughing right now. I think I might have to have 2 bowls of ice cream as well--you know--just to be supportive. Love you.
That was brilliant I am curious as to how the others on the Humvee felt about the badness to goodness for them, or did they get to have 3 bowls of ice cream....Janice
Hmmmmmm, I think I'll come back tomorrow to read chapter 2 about the stomach ache that may keep you up all night, I hope your potty chair isn't too far away.
Enjoy the ice cream.
Becky & Der
I wish we would have known you had a small bladder growing up....maybe we wouldn't have called you all those names!
Showed Grandma and Grandpa your blog today. I think they enjoyed seeing the pictures.
Take care
Jeff
I feel your pain with the small bladder. I usually have to go before and after each patient. Hope things are going well.
It's fun getting to know you so well through your blog! Anything that ends up with two bowls of ice cream is good in my book.
I don't remember having a bladder problem on family trips! Yea, right. I'm glad you were squirming in the back seat. Do you have several flavors of ice cream?
Love, Dad
I can't stop smiling. That was a funny blog. I'm sure glad it ended good...ice cream is always a good thing. I love you.
Love, Mom
This post made me laugh. I'm glad it all ended well.
Way to look at the bright side of things. I remember a trip home from Lake Tahoe when our car was over-heating so we drove in the 102 degree weather with the heat on and I wasn't quite as grateful as you were for the experience. Miss you!
Post a Comment