Since Labor Day was a work day, there was some celebration of the holiday today instead. One of the activities was a three-point contest and of course I couldn’t resist the urge to give it a try. I had visions of the new guy coming in and surprising everyone with a victory. The only problem was the wind. Herat has what is known as the 120 days of wind where it blows sunrise to sunset for 4 months. We are still in that period and so the wind is pretty strong. As you can see in the pictures below, the flag is flying straight out due to the wind.
So instead of having all of my shots fall nicely into the hoop as I had envisioned, they were blown off course. I know, a likely excuse you are thinking. But really it was pretty challenging to make anything. Well, as it turned out I didn’t win the contest. In fact I only made 2/27 shots (that’s a 7% field goal percentage). Not good, but at least I can blame it on the wind.
Happy Labor Day--four days late!

5 comments:
Hmmmm...I think I see your foot "over" the 3pt line. That's not fair, is it? Maybe the rules change over there. Thanks for the daily update. Very cool.
Love, Dad
Glad you got at least a bit of a holiday. I'm sure you'll win that 3-pt. tournament when the wind dies down:)
Sweet shot...newbie! 2/27? Did you forget the zero? You meant 20/27, right? What happened to all your mad skills developed in Kansas?
So glad you are finally there and unpacked. Is there enough kneeling room there?
Your mom said:
I can't believe you only got 2 out of 27 shots. It must be a bad wind. I love you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment