Well, I stand corrected. Tonight I saw a group of kids running back and forth from the dinning facility to the flagpole playing tag. Yes, some of the American contractors bring their families with them. Once or twice a week I see them with their wives and kids. I’ve seen pregnant ladies, little babies, toddlers, and elementary age school kids. They live out in Herat somewhere and come on base occasionally for mail, dinner, and a change of scenery.
It is hard to describe how strange it is to see little American kids here on this base. To see little kids running and playing, oblivious to the war that surrounds them, makes me grateful for the innocence of children. They find joy and fun in the simple things that are around them. Seeing the kids makes me pretty homesick for my little guys. What I wouldn’t give to have just a few minutes with my kids--to give Abbie a big hug and kiss, watch Ellie dance around in the Afghan dust, hold Eden’s tiny little hand, or listen to Ammon make little monkey sounds.
I miss them. I love them. However, as much as I would like to have them near, I’m glad that they are home, in a safe place, with a mother that loves and protects them. Guys I’ll see you soon!

4 comments:
That is seriously crazy! Where do they live? Where could they live?!
I am glad you had the sense to leave your family here even as hard as it is for all of you.
Stay safe.
Becky & Derwin
I can't imagine having your family there. That seems like a big worry. That is a very fun picture of your family. I love you.
Love, Mom
Justin,
Your kids are adorable! I can't believe you have four of them!!! Amberly and I are expecting our second around thanksgiving. I was happy to see your comment in our blog. I love your writing style and, most of all, your pictures.
Cuidate mucho en este lugar tan peligroso! Un saludo,
Rafa
Post a Comment