My confidence was quickly dashed as I boarded the plane flying from Miami to Buenos Aires. There was a large group of Argentine kids returning from a trip to Disney World. I quickly realized that speaking "spanglish" with a bunch of English speaking guys was completely different than speaking true Spanish. I could not understand one word these kids were saying. I knew at that point I was in trouble. Once I arrived in Argentina I was given a native Argentine companion who spoke very little English. I still remember vividly walking the streets with him my first day there. I tried and tried to understand what was being said. However, outside of a few "hola's" and "si's" I was pretty lost. Gratefully the Lord blessed me and the language skills soon came.
Now I find myself once again in language training. This time I am trying to learn some Dari so I can communicate with my Afghan counterparts. Obviously my expectation is not to become fluent like I did with my Spanish, but I hope that I can learn some basic salutations and greetings. I think the Afghans I interact with will appreciate someone who is trying to understand their culture and way of life. I thought you might be interested to see a sample of the language. Below are the numbers from 0 to 9. Writing the numbers actually is easier than it looks once you practice a few times. Luckily I will have a translator to fill in the gaps once I arrive in Afghanistan--a luxury I didn't have in Argentina.

3 comments:
Good luck with the language. Knowng you you'll be fluent when you come back. I never got the chance to say good luck. I couldn't be more pleased with my big sister's choice in a husband. I look up to you more than you know. We will take good care of your fam while you are away (not that we are any closer right now).
Thanks for the constant posts, Justin! I'm not very good at commenting often, but we really enjoy keeping up on you and reading how and what you're doing. We just love your family. Our prayers are always with you!
Your mom said:
Wow! Good luck with the language. I know you will do well. The Lord will bless you on this mission also. I love you.
Love, Mom
Post a Comment