I'll be home soon...

Saturday, June 21, 2008

Day 27: Is It Saturday Yet?

Is it Saturday yet? Oh wait, that's today isn't it. Everyday kind of blurs together here at Fort Riley. I guess I should get used to it as I have heard that once you are in Afghanistan you experience the same "Ground Hog Day" phenomenon on a regular basis.

We have a six day work week here and so Saturday's are just another day. This morning we went on a road march. This is where we march around in our gear as if we were on a patrol--something we will probably never do in real life. However, as part of the experience we are breaking in our body armor so we get used to lugging around the extra weight. It weighs by my estimate around 30 pounds. Initially it is not a huge deal. However, by the end of a one hour march your shoulders are aching pretty good. Pretty soon we will be adding more weight--helmets, ruck sacks (backpacks), miscellaneous gear, etc. Should be fun.

We also finished up our radio classes this afternoon. The picture shows us linking up with a satellite with our portable satellite dish. It actually was pretty cool stuff. Unfortunately the class instruction was pretty dry and boring.

Thanks again to everyone for staying in touch. I hope you all have a good weekend.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your mom said:
Looking at these pictures makes me wish you could spend your deployment at Fort Riley. Isn't there someone you could talk to to make this change? I love you.
Love, Mom

djones said...

Hi Justin. Your blogs are always interesting. I've been trying to identify the rank of your colleagues by the insignias on their respective hats but I don't know what each means. I'll have to look it up when I get a chance.

There was an news article about Johnny Miller today that made me think of you. He's the lead commentator/color analyst for most of the big golf events such as the recently-completed U.S. Open. He made a comment on-air that seemed to some to be racist. This morning he made a public apology and noted that he would never do such a thing. The sports commentator who was analyzing the news release said that he knew Johnny Miller (who is LDS) and said that he never drank, never smoked, never lied, never said anything racist, loved his family and loved his country. Thanks for setting a good example where you're at. Someone is for sure watching!

Love you lots.
Dad

Sue said...

That's funny...it feels like "Groundhog Day" on our end as well! Won't it be great when you get home and we can break the spell?! I love you...and miss you...and love you.

Mrs. Jen said...

It is so Groundhog Day here as well. I am feeling Sue's pain. Patrick's Port call got cut short tonight due to a typhoon heading towards Hong Kong. Pray for them they get on the ship and get out of there and soon. Glad that you have something "cool" to look forward too :) take care
Jen