I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Day 9: Gear issue

Much of the last few days has involved issuing of our clothes, equipment, accessories, etc., that we will use here and then overseas. To give you an example of what we received today:

Winter gear--8 layered tops, 6 bottoms
2 sets of gloves
Combat helmet and cover
Large Back pack
2 camelbacks
Canteens
Pistol holster
Sleeping bag
Sunglasses
First aid kit
Plastic ties that can be used to make handcuffs for detainees
Large duffle bag

This is an incomplete list (I actually don’t know what a good portion of it is for). Tomorrow we will receive body armor and related equipment. On Thursday we will be issued weapons--both an M4 (rifle) and M9 (pistol). All of our equipment/clothes will eventually fit into 4 seabags (large duffle bags) which we will take with us. On average we will always have about 60 lb. of gear on us as we walk around on a day to day basis. So if I look a little weighed down in future pictures you will understand why.


My Dad is a Google Earth expert and he downloaded an aerial view of where I am right now on Fort Riley. Thanks Dad.

1 comment:

djones said...

Dad and Mom said...

I wonder why the pictures didn't show up??? Interesting list of supplies.

Love,
Mom and Dad