Well now that I have deployed, I find that I have more free time on my hands than I used to. I have found that I can only spend so much time surfing the web, working out, and hanging with the guys. I've had to turn to books for entertainment (scary thought I know). Now typically I am not a huge book reader. If I ever have time to read, I usually pull out some of my exciting medical journals. But over the last week or so, I have found that reading books actually is an enjoyable activity that helps the time to pass along. So I have decided to form my own book club. Now unfortunately I can't invite you all to join me for an evening of treats and analysis of the novel, but I thought it might be fun to keep everyone updated on what I am reading. I've posted on the right column of my blog a new section that will show the book I am currently reading.
Now here is how you can get involved:
1) Give me ideas on what my next reading adventure should be. As a non-reader, I really don't know what to read next. So if you have read or are reading something interesting, let me know and I will add it to my future reading list (leave ideas as a comment or email me). If you are planning to read something in the near future, let me know in advance so I can get a hold of the book somehow, and I will read it with you.
2) The second option is to read along with me. If you notice my booklist and it looks interesting, feel free to read along with me. It is always more fun to have someone to read with.
Once I finish a book, I will probably post a quick synopsis of what I've read, insights I've had, and whether I give it a thumbs up or thumbs down.
The first book I have started is call The Village by Bing West. It is the true story of 15 Marines who lived, fought, and died with the Vietmanese during the war. So far it is pretty good. I will give you more info when I finish it.
Disclaimer: The first paragraph was meant to be read as a sarcastic comment. I actually am a big supporter of Sue and her book clubs. Speaking for all husbands of the world, we are always happy to watch the kids to give our beloved spouses a chance to escape the house for a few minutes. You deserve it!

4 comments:
Nice save at the end there, honey!
Smart Man, Smart Man. I may have to get Autumn involved in this, she reads a novel in a cople hours. Puts us all to shame. Enjoy!
Your mom said:
Fun idea. I would like to read books with you. I love reading. My problem is I usually only have time at night and I don't read too much before I fall asleep. It takes me a long time to finish a book.
Love, Mom
Justin, it's so good to be able to catch up with you and your eventful life. Afghanistan sounds pretty risque.
I am so proud of you for surviving medical school while raising your family. I am preparing for graduate school right now and to be honest I have no idea of how I'll be able to do that and take care of Amberly, our 10 month old boy Nico, and the other one that's on the way. I guess this experience will get me really close to Ambelry and the Lord.
Speaking of Ambelry, do you remember Elder Jon Taylor from our mission? Well, I married his cutest sister!! :)
Your family looks wonderful Justin. And your strong spirit still shows. I'll be checking your blog often to see how you are doing. Be safe bro!
Post a Comment