Last night both the fireflies and the lightning were out in force. I was scheduled to do nighttime driving exercises and so I was out working late (I actually do have some late nights for those of you who think I am just on vacation). Around 8PM, the sky darkened and down came torrential rains. The lightning was everywhere. Shortly thereafter all the fireflies appeared. It was a pretty impressive combination.
We were scheduled for drivers training on the up-armored Humvee's. Basically these are Humvee's on steroids. They are plated in a metal layer to provide further protection from bullets, grenades, etc. They weigh about 12,000 pounds each--weight you can really feel when you get behind the wheel. Initially we just drove on a regular driving course to become familiar with the feel and operation of the vehicle. Once it was dark we put on our night vision goggles, turned off the lights, and started driving around. Now I have accidentally forgotten to turn on the lights of my car after filling up with gas before, but this was the first time I had purposely driven off with my lights off. The night vision goggles (NVG's) are pretty cool and it is pretty neat what you can actually see when the only true light around is coming from the lightning and fireflies. We were able to drive up a rough dirt road, make several turns, and turn back around with no one hitting anything or accidentally driving off the road. Pretty cool stuff.
By the way, if you ever need to go on a covert mission without your wife knowing (sneaking out to buy ice-cream, going out with the guys to play some ball, etc.), let me know and I'll bring along my NVG's and we will be able to sneak out undetected.

5 comments:
Mom said:
Even with the pictures, it's hard to believe this is true. I wish I could wish you home. Anyway, I'm grateful for all the training you are getting for all possible circumstances. The night googles do sound cool. Also, it sounds cool to see those fireflies. I love you.
Love, Mom
Truman wants to know if you get to keep all of the cool stuff when you come home. He said he wants a ride in your cool car if you get to keep it!
Growing up in northern WI there were "lightening bugs" everywhere and there are Indian traditions that are governed by the timing of them. Thanks for sharing this.
I'm with Truman...do you get to keep all this cool stuff?!
Your book club sounds great; we'll have to think of some suggestion for you. One of my all-time favorites is "The Hiding Place" by Corrie Ten Boom, if you've never read it. Also, I'm jealous - I'd love to watch the lightning and the lightning storms. Before there was housing across the street from my folks' place, we'd sit in the living room and watch lightning storms out the front window; I loved doing that with Dad. Can't wait to see you Thursday!
Post a Comment