I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Day 23: Acronyms

Someday my kids will think I am backward because I have never text messaged before. From what I gather, the acronyms used have become a whole new language for those that use them. I think the following commercial is pretty funny.



The military has its own language composed of acronyms as well. During the last few days of lectures I have been amazed at how everything has been abbreviated. Here are a few examples:

FOB = Forward Operating Base
MSR = Main Supply Route
ODA = Operational Detachment Alpha (I don't even know what this is when they write it out)
PAO = Public Affairs Office
RIP = Relief in Place
TT = Transition Team
VBIED = Vehicle Borne Improvised Explosive Device
SOF = Special Operations Forces

And the list goes on. Honestly I could have listed at least a 100 more. During our classes, many of the lecturers have assumed that we know this lingo. Us medical types typically tend to have no idea what it is they are saying. The net effects of using these acronyms has been to cast a spell on us uneducated types causing a deep sleep to come upon us. Here is one of my colleagues who succumbed to the spell.


Luckily we only have one full day of class and then we should be back to doing some more hands on stuff. Until then TTFN.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

From your mom:
Your classes sound tough. Why don't they just speak English?!?
Love, Mom

Sue said...

I feel like that guy in the picture...and I don't even have to sit through all those classes!