I'll be home soon...

Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Day 30: Disneyland in Kansas

On our honeymoon, I learned of Sue's love for high speed adventure. On our way to San Diego we stopped at the California/Nevada border for a ride on the Desperado. This is one of the highest and fastest roller coasters in the United States. Anyone who has been on it definitely remembers that first drop...straight down.


After a week in San Diego, we spent a night in Las Vegas. We stayed at the Stratosphere which is a replica of the Space Needle in Seattle. It seemed like a fun place to unwind and relax on our trip back to Utah. Of course Sue was not satisfied with just lounging around, going to dinner, watching a movie, etc. She had to go on the "Big Shot". This is a ride that consists of strapping yourself into a little seat at the base of the needle and then being shot up 160 feet until you are over 1000 feet above the Strip. I reluctantly went along not wanting my new bride to doubt my manliness. As I sat and awaited my death, I wondered what I had gotten myself into. This thrill seeking wife of mine, who would have been the perfect match for Evil Knievel, was not going to be satisfied until I either puked or wet my pants (neither of which happened for those who are wondering). After it was all said and done I have to admit that I had fun and was glad that I had gone on the ride--although I didn't volunteer to go a second time!


It is interesting to look at my kids and see how the parent's genes are passed on. Abbie, from a very young age, has been our little dare devil. She will go on anything and is always heart broken because she is too small to go on the biggest and fastest rides. Ellie is more like her dad--a little more cautious and satisfied to take on the more mellow rides.

Anyway, enough rambling. The reason I mention all of this is today we went on Fort Riley's version of an amusement park ride. We went on the HEAT Trainer. Basically, it simulates a Humvee rolling over. The purpose of the "ride" is to give you a simulated experience of what you should do if your vehicle were ever to roll. We put on our full "battle rattle" (body armor, helmet, knee/elbow pads, etc.) and jumped into the simulator. Although, the simulator does not turn too fast, it is surprising with all that extra weight on you, how hard it is to keep yourself up. Finally after several spins they stop you in an upside down position. From there you have to get yourself out. I know you are thinking this sounds easy, but it is actually quite difficult. You find that you are very disoriented, cramped and have little room to maneuver. Once you find your seat belt buckle, you unclick and fall down to the roof of the vehicle. You then have to somehow find (with fogged up goggles) the elusive door handle and open it the right way (it is more of a lever than a typical car door handle you might think of) and then finally you will be free.

Before stepping on the simulatorThe HEAT Trainer
Ready to Roll
Upside Down
How do I get out of here?
Free at last!

It was a pretty fun exercise but even more so an important preparation for a possible emergency situation down the road.

We also did a little bit of vehicle maintenance training and a tire changing exercise. The tires on the Humvees weigh approximately 100 pounds each! It definately is a 2 person job.

3 comments:

Sue said...

I'm so glad I could have a hand in preparing you for this experience. I knew it would come in handy!

Anonymous said...

Your mom said:
All this training is good and necessary. I'll pray that you won't have an occasion to use it. Be safe. I love you.
Love,
Mom

Hendry Happenings said...

You do the craziest things. Are you sure that they understand you are a doctor?