Tonight as part of our of our introduction into the culture of Afghanistan, we had an Afghan feast. Here are a few differences between mealtime at my house and mealtime in Afghanistan.
- They eat with their fingers. Now sometimes they do use utensils. However, the majority of times they eat with their fingers only. It is a little messy but hey, it makes for less dishes to do.
- Sorry lefties. It is only proper to eat with your right hand. There are left handed people in Afghanistan but they all learn to eat with their right hand.
- Men and women eat separately. Well this is not always true. If there are visitors or guests that have not eaten in the home before, then women are not to eat with the men. However, on a day to day basis families do eat together. I think Ammon and I will try eating by ourselves when I return home...I think it might be quieter. Well maybe not, he can get pretty rowdy himself.
- Handwashing is required. Typically I tell the kids to wash their hands before dinner. Now them actually doing it is a different story. In Afghanistan it is required that you are "clean" prior to eating.
- They sometimes eat at a table but often just sit on the ground with a tablecloth. My kids love picnics so this would probably go over well at home.
By the way, thanks to all of you who have been reading my blog and commenting. In a way it makes it feel like family and friends are nearby. Talk to you all soon.

6 comments:
This time it's Scott. We love reading your updates. You (and your family) are in our prayers. I'm sure that you'll never see him, but I told my friend who's stationed in Afghanistan to keep an eye out for you. I'm not sure where in Afghanistan he's at. His name is Jason Fraughton. Anyway, we'll keep reading your posts, and try to comment once in a while too.
Your mom said,
Thanks for sharing. I love you.
I am totally NOT letting the kids see this! They would never use utensils again!
Tacy said,
I love your blog Uncle Justin, and that is really interesting how they eat food.
So what's on the plate? Looks like some sort of meat in gravy, onions or slice potatoes, a taco or pita bread, and stuff to go on the taco underneath.
Eating on the floor, I think, would be hard. Do most of they guys and gals cross their legs or sit side-saddle?
Do you still wear your sidearm while you're eating?
Love,
Dad
So, I guess that you have mastered what my kids call, "Criss cross applesauce"!
Post a Comment