I'll be home soon...

Sunday, June 1, 2008

Day 7: Fort Riley

Fort Riley is stop #2 in my journey to Afghanistan. We arrived last night and today I spent much of the day finding my way around. We are located for one week at a part of base called Custer Hill. Here we will have some basic orientation meetings and receive more equipment.

I have a private room but share a bathroom. Although the pictures look like I have a TV armoire, this is really just a cruel trick...it is empty. Also my internet access is gone. I have to find internet access on other parts of the base. I think they are trying to slowly take things away from us so we won’t be shocked when our living conditions deteriorate even more. Next week we are scheduled to move down to the “40 man barracks”. So again, I will be grateful for what I have for now.

Outside view of the Barracks

My Room

My Walk Around Base

There is no LDS Church on base and unfortunately I wasn’t able to make arrangements to get off base today. However, I was able to contact one of the local bishops and hopefully we will find a way to make it by next week.

Otherwise all is well and life is good. Yesterday as I was reading in the Book of Mormon I was reading of Lehi and his family’s difficult and long journey in the wilderness. Nephi states that “great were the blessings of the Lord upon us (1 Nephi 17:2)”. He was able to look past his trials and recognize the Lord’s hand in those things that he had been blessed with. I think this is a good lesson for me. Hopefully I can apply it as I face the challenges that lie ahead.

1 comment:

djones said...

From mom and Dad:

Interesting pictures. Looks like you've moved from the major leagues (San Diego) to Class AA minor league ball (Kansas). I'm afraid to see what Class A is like. Guess we'll see that next. I don't think they have a Class "B". Hmmm.

Loved your insights and good for all of us to look for our blessings.

Love you lots,
Mama Jones and Dad